Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passports for Children Under Age 16

All children, regardless of age, must travel on their own passports and cannot be included on a parent's passport. Please complete an Application for U.S. Passport/Registration (Form DS-11) to apply for a first passport, renew (i.e. to replace an expired or soon to expire passport), or to replace a lost/stolen/damaged passport. Growing age family photographs should be submitted to establish the growth of minor children. These photos should range between the ages in which their previous passport was issued up to their current age

Important Notice:

Effective July 2, 2001, both parents' consent must be submitted to the issuance of a passport to a minor.

Effective February 1, 2008, children under age 16 must appear in person with both parent(s) or legal guardian when submitting their passport applications. One of the following must be submitted with the application in order to establish the relationship/guardianship:

  • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if necessary); or
  • Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (With Parents’ Names), or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS1350) (With Parents’ Names); or
  • Adoption Decree (With Adopting Parents’ Names); or
  • Court Order Establishing Custody; or
  • Court Order Establishing Guardianship.

Each Parent or Guardian Must Submit a valid passport or other photo identification (see 3 below).

Where and How to Submit Your Application

Both parents and child should make an appointment and apply in person at the American Citizens Services counter.

If only one parent is available to sign the application in the presence of the consular officer, in addition to the required documents outlined under "Submit the following documents with your application," the parent who submits the child's application must provide one of the following:

  • The absent parent's written consent to issue a passport to the child by completing a Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor under Age 16 (Form DS-3053).  In addition, a clear photocopy of the signing parent's valid identification (e.g. passport, national identification card) must be notarized by a notary public. The absent parent's consent must be unequivocal and must not state any time or geographical limitations or any other conditions. Please note that each passport case is adjudicated on its own merits and that a consular officer may request to see both parents and the child.

  • Primary evidence of sole and exclusive authority granted to the parent submitting the child's application to apply for a passport for the child (e.g. court order).

  • A written statement (made under penalty of perjury) of the parent submitting the child's application explaining the reason for the absent parent's unavailability by completing a Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor under Age 16 (Form DS-3053).

Completing the Application for a Passport (Form DS-11)

The parents or legal guardian(s) must complete sections 1 to 22 on the application form in BLOCK letters and black ink. You must read the "ACTS OR CONDITIONS" on page 4 of this form before you proceed further. If any of the mentioned acts or conditions have been performed by or applied to the applicant, cross out ONLY the applicable portion(s) and submit a supplementary explanatory signed statement with the application.

Section 23:

DO NOT WRITE in these sections. The parents must sign this section in the presence of the Consular Officer.

Submit the Following Documents with your Application

All documents submitted with your application must NOT be laminated, must be either in their originals, or copies certified by the issuing authorities bearing the official's seal and signature. Photocopies are not acceptable. A written official translation is required for any documents issued in languages other than English.

  1. Evidence of child's U.S. citizenship (one of the following):
  2. (a) The most recently issued passport;

    If the child has never been issued a passport or the most recent passport is unavailable:

    (b) If the child was born in the U.S., a birth certificate. Hospital records are not acceptable.

    If the child was born outside the U.S.:

    Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); OR
    Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545); OR
    Certificate of Naturalization; OR
    Certificate of Citizenship.

  3. Evidence of parentage/guardianship between child and parents or legal guardian/s (one of the following):
    • A full birth certificate that shows parents' details; 

    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240);

    • Adoption decree of an adopted child.

  4. Valid identification of both parents or legal guardian(s):
  5. For example: national identification card or passport.

    NOTE: If the child's current passport was lost or stolen, also complete a Statement Regarding Lost Or Stolen Passport (Form DS-64) (PDF 115kb)

  6. Photographs
  7. Refer to U.S. passport photograph specifications.

  8. Passport fees
  9. All fees are subject to change without notice. Click here to view the latest fee information from the State Department website.

Passport Validity

Minors (age 15 or below) - 5 years


Submit ALL pages of the applications. Your application will not be accepted unless all pages are submitted;

Print forms on A4 size plain white photocopy or laser printer paper only;

The forms must be printed in black on white paper, NOT in colour print or on coloured papers;

Forms printed with dotted or broken lines, or blackout portions will not be accepted;

DO NOT shrink the size of the forms for printing.

Select the required forms by clicking on the form numbers below:

Application for Passport/Registration - Form DS-11

(Click here (PDF 89KB) to download DS-11)

Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passports - Form DS-64

(Click here (PDF 115kb) to download DS-64)

Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to Minor under Age 16 - Form DS-3053

(Click here to download DS-3053)

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.